Welcome to the DDMBA Chicago Chapter!
- Please note that for the month of August we are taking a break from Sunday morning sittings and Chan classes. Sunday Sittings and classes will resume in September. In the meantime participants are encouraged to continue practicing on their own and to tune into the current 4-part online lecture series: “The Principles and Stages of Chinese Chan Practice” offered by Ven. Guo Goang at the Chan Meditation Center in New York: https://www.chancenter.org/en/calendar/sunday-online-dharma-talk, on every Sunday in August, 8:30-10 AM (Chicago Time): 8/7 All sentient beings have Buddha nature, 8/14 Seeing Buddhanature and Attaining Buddhahood, 8/21 Regulate Mind and Body, 8/28 Six Stages of Attaining Buddhahood and Ten Oxherding Pictures.
- Classes such as the weekly Sunday morning sittings and Dharma study as well as the Yoga Class are resuming in person! Please check about the new Covid guidelines at our center that have recently been updated (June 2022) – effectively lifting the previous restrictions. If you prefer to join online via zoom this will still remain an option, too.
- Weekly Yoga has resumed! Please check the event calendar for more details and contact Iris if you intend to join!
- On Sunday July 31st Iris Wang will provide a beginner’s meditation class. Attending Iris’ workshop is an excellent opportunity to learn about the technique how to meditate properly!
Meditation Class With IRIS
The Beginner’s meditation class, taught in the Chan (Zen) Buddhist tradition, will provide an introduction to relaxation and breathing methods to improve your focusing power. Based on the instructions by Chan Master Sheng Yen, teacher Iris Wang will explain how to use meditation to benefit your mind and body.
- The Sunday Chan Workshop schedule has been slightly updated. Our resident teacher Iris Wang is very happy to announce that Michael Schnabel and Alan Myers have completed a training to present the Dharma that they started in 2020. They will take turns with Iris to lead the Dharma studies in the Chan Workshop: Iris will run the workshop on every 3rd and 5th Sunday, and every 2nd and 4th Sunday it will be Alan and Mick. Course Material for Alan and Mick’s class will be posted in advance here. Join us to learn about the Principles of Chan!
- Norman Liu’s bi-weekly Tai Chi classes (Mon mornings and Wed evenings) will resume Aug 8th! Beginner’s welcome! Please register by sending an email to Iris!
Tai Chi Teacher Norman Liu has been practicing Tai Chi since the 1980s under Master Guo of Championship Martial Art Academy (CMAA), currently located at the Libertyville Sports Complex. Liu competed for 1st and 2nd place titles in the late 1990s and early 2000s, served as a Tai Chi judge and is a certified Qi Gong instructor.
For more information please sign up for the mailing list !
Welcome to the Dharma Drum Mountain Buddhist Association Chicago Chapter (DDM Chicago). We are a Buddhist meditation center located in Wheeling, IL. We teach and promote the understanding and practice of Chan Buddhism, cultivating wisdom and compassion, and the freedom and ease of body and mind through Chan practice.
The vision behind our efforts is that of “Uplifting the Character of Humanity and Building a Pure Land on Earth” as promoted by our late teacher and Founder of DDM, Chan Master Sheng Yen. Our localized mission is to create a vibrant and sustainable community by encouraging spiritual growth and promoting happiness.
To achieve the vision and mission, we offer various practice and caring programs, including group meditation programs, chanting, book study, social activities, and more. Through fluent English and Chinese language skills, we help to bring benefits to both English and Chinese speakers, in their individual lives and throughout the society, through an understanding of Buddhism as a living philosophy.
Online Sunday morning meditation and Dharma class.
If you cannot join in person at our DDMBA Center in Wheeling you are welcome join online by clicking on this link.
- 08:30am – 09:00am : Eight Form Moving Meditation
- 09:00am – 09:45am : Sitting Meditation
- 09:45am – 10:00am : Morning Service
- 10:00am – 11:30am : Book Study
Chicago DDM brings over 5000 meals to local healthcare workers via Meals for Heroes.
(05/14/2020): By means of a very generous gift of $50,000 from one of our members the Chicago Chapter of the Dharma Drum Mountain Buddhist Association was able to order more than 5000 meals that were distributed to local hospitals through the “Meals for Heroes” initiative to support the healthcare workers. “Meals for Heroes” is a program created by Savory Salads in Illinois to provide healthy meals to hospitals in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs as a means to thank our healthcare workers. With the donation Savory Salads will deliver 5,000 meals to local hospitals for the next 6 weeks.
DDMBA Chicago donates Masks to neighboring organizations
(05/14/2020): In an effort to support our community, DDMBA Chicago is participating in a larger effort by the Chan Center of New York to address the current shortage of protective masks and medical equipment. The DDMBA COVID – 19 USA Relief Project imports these critical items through trusted channels from China and distributes them to nursing homes, hospitals, and local governments in need of Personal Protective Equipment. Overall, funds raised have enabled the purchase of 100,000 masks and our Chicago DDMBA Chapter has donated 6,000 masks to local organizations. We thank the brave Bodhisattvas that are on the front lines of this Pandemic.
(03/15/2020): Due to increasing threat of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and concerns of our congregants, DDMBA Chicago chapter will be closed to the public until further notice. Gilbert’s retreat scheduled in April is canceled. Please join online activities held by the Chan Meditation Center and Dharma Drum Retreat Center in New York.
We encourage everyone to join online for the Dharma talk (Bilingual, Sun 9-10:30 EST) held at Chan Meditation Center in New York City:
Online Dharma classes on Agama Sutra will also be available (Chinese, Sat 2-3pm EST)